It’s a happy day in the world of WordPress. The 3.5 “Elvin” release is now ready for download. Yes, that’s right, the 3.5 release has been dubbed “Elvin” – not as in elves but rather named for jazz drummer Elvin Jones. Curious about what’s new?
Here’s a quick summary:
WordPress Media Completely Re-Envisioned
This release includes massive changes to the WordPress media library. You’re simply going to love how easy it is to add new media to WordPress. It provides a totally new experience for uploading photos and creating galleries.
New Twenty Twelve Default Theme
The new Twenty Twelve theme is the best default theme yet! It’s fully responsive and makes use of the beautiful “Open Sans” Font. It also includes a Front Page Template, support for all kinds of post formats and a No-sidebar Layout.
Lots of Extras for Developers
WordPress 3.5 includes a ton of improvements for developers. Here’s a short summary of all the most exciting additions:
- New Tumblr Importer
- Links manager removed from new installs
- Multisite switch_to_blog() is now faster and more reliable
- You can now install Multisite in a sub-directory.
- New external libraries: Underscore, Backbone JS libraries
- WP_Comment_Query and WP_User_Query classes now support meta queries just like WP_Query.
- Post objects are now instances of a WP_Post class
- WP_Image_Editor class abstracts image editing functionality such as cropping and scaling, and uses ImageMagick when available.
View the WordPress 3.5 introduction video to get a quick preview of what you have to look forward to when you upgrade: